- Career paths
- Who are we looking for?
- IT/Cyber and Information Security Specialists
- Employment conditions
- Professional development and further study
- How and when to apply
- Selection criteria hints and tips
Who are we looking for?
Finding the right people to work in signals intelligence and information security is vitally important for DSD. We are looking for people who:
- have reached a high level of proficiency in relevant academic disciplines
- can demonstrate intellectual skills and competencies that are greater than the average
- are prepared to contribute their best efforts
- meet the high standards of personal integrity required for working in a Top Secret environment.
Over the years, we have found that the kind of people who are successful at DSD and find the greatest personal rewards here are those who:
- have a sense of adventure
- take a creative approach to their work, particularly in solving problems
- don’t just respond to the task of overcoming obstacles but actively thrive on the challenge
- are not deterred by difficulties or setbacks.
We have also found that individuals who are simply attracted to DSD by the (false) glamour of belonging to a ‘spy’ organisation do not usually fit well with our culture or workforce.
We need people of exceptional ability at DSD because what we do is critically important to Defence and other Australian government departments, and because our work is difficult and challenging by its very nature.
Those who meet the required standards and join DSD find the work offers a unique kind of reward:
- the knowledge that they are engaged in a business which is indispensable to Australia’s well-being
- the chance to work with leading-edge technologies not available elsewhere in Australia
- an organisational environment which is characterised by a common sense of purpose and a common mission.